tip-the-scale-600x320 (1)

Micro Coil on a Kayfun?

As many of you know I don’t have a particular way that I setup my atomizers because there are literally a hundred ways to do it, so why limit myself? I don’t! All of my atomizers have a different setup then the next and I love the freedom with rebuildables and honestly that is probably why i prefer them. I have never been a huge fan of micro coils, I feel if i need/want 1.2 or above in ohms I will use the appropriate wire which would normally be 32 – 30 gauge kanthal. However, a couple weeks back someone  suggested that I a try a micro coil on a Kayfun and today was that day. 20130805_131335[1]

I ended up with a 9 wrap of 28 gauge kanthal on my Kayfun 3.1 and the setup was just as easy as a normal build. The only difficult part is determining how many wraps will fit into the chamber of the kayfun and that is how i came to a 9 wrap, it was the most that would fit in the given space. I kept compressing the coil together, to get as close as possible without coils touching together and without the coils touching the side of the chamber.

20130805_131630[1]

The final product came out to 2.0 ohms and its functioning as it should. The total build time was less than 10 minutes and that is including the the time spent to build the wick and coil. Also, the initial setup didn’t even render one hot spot which I was surprised by due to how the coils are, but it went smooth.

20130805_131903[1]

In conclusion, I don’t see any benefit to using a micro coil versus a standard coil made up of 32 gauge kanthal. The performance is the same and i don’t think that you could go wrong either way, its just going to come down to personal preference and me personally –  I like them both, and will continue to use both!

8 Responses

1. close
    close August 27, 2013 at 7:22 am |

Excellent post. Thanks.

2. john
    john September 14, 2013 at 7:12 am |

Micro coils r supposed to touch and the diameter should be smaller. Thus u didint build a micro coil

3. Daniel
    Daniel October 4, 2013 at 6:27 am |

You say that in your first pic the wraps of the coil are touching. Looking at it I can tell that isn’t so. What you can try doing is to take your folded wick and hold it against a hard, non-malleable metal (about the diameter of an unfolded paperclip) and wrap the wire as tight as you can get it around that, making sure that all the wraps are actually touching. When you’re done, pull out the paperclip-like metal and that’ll give the wick room to breathe.

4. Daniel
    Daniel October 10, 2013 at 11:52 pm |

Edit: a 1/16 drill bit works well

5. Rebuildable Atomizers
    Rebuildable Atomizers November 8, 2013 at 12:21 pm |

1/16 drill bit or a 1/16 precision screwdriver works well as a guide for the coil. I do 10/11 wraps of 30 gauge on the drill bit torch it squeeze the coil together torch it again. Once that’s done I put some organic cotton through the 1/16 hole and it produces some great vapor and flavor.

6. Jason Poma
    Jason Poma November 22, 2013 at 12:51 am |

You don’t want the coil to be so small theres wicking issues and you don’t want it too long either. That coil needs air flow so don’t let it get much wider than the air hole its sitting over. I get optimal results with 5 wraps of 28g kanthal and a 7/64 (just under 3mm) drill bit, 1/8 is 3mm I believe and 6 wraps of 26g kanthal works great too. So far the 7/64 bit with 5 wraps of 28g is at 1.0 ohms and will even fire on a Provari up to 3.8v. This way the coil is getting proper air flow and the larger diameter coil allows more wicking material inside especially with organic cotton balls its a great saturated vape. The 1/16 bit is just too small, no room for proper wicking material. Keep the bit in the coil during installation, remove the bit and dry fire the coil until it glows then quickly pinch the coil with small needle nose pliers to form the micro coil. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PINCH COIL WHILE FIRING! Leave wick long enough to trim flush with the top of the chimney tube and gently pack down to allow the chimney top to thread down without catching any of the wick.

7. Dan
    Dan April 8, 2014 at 9:50 am |

ok so i have a .06 ohm coil it is twisted with 2 strands of 28ga and 1 30ga wire and is wrapped 4 times… i feel like it’s still a low for what it’s made with but i’m no pro. i have a sony 30amp flat top battery and i’m using my H-cigar turtle ship. but it produces little flavor and gets too hot to handle. i know you said it’s personal preference but i just want the flavor and cloud to finally…. i dunno just happen i guess. am i doing something wrong?